Sideshow racks up 14 Blue Star nominations

“I was overwhelmed by the number of nominations we received.  I was so excited for all of the students involved because it was  performers, crew and pit (orchestra) that were recognized. It encompassed our entire group which is just outstanding." -Lisa Lowman, director

Samantha Johnson

Just three months after the electrifying performance of Sideshow, the 2019 BSHS musical cast joined hands in the drama den, anxious to hear their Blue Star nominations. Cast, crew and pit orchestra celebrated the record breaking 14 category nominations with hugs and photographs.

Overjoyed, drama teacher and director Lisa Lowman noted her satisfaction at seeing all parts of the production recognized for their efforts.

“I was overwhelmed by the number of nominations we received.  I was so excited for all of the students involved because it was  performers, crew and pit (orchestra) that were recognized. It encompassed our entire group which is just outstanding,” Lowman said.

Lowman noted that she was able to select Sideshow, which required not only a hard working cast but a skilled crew as well, because of the level of dedication of the off stage participants.

“We are lucky to have amazing talent at this school. Not only do I have talented students who perform onstage, but I have had amazing students that work backstage that have that unique talent as well.  I chose this show because I knew I would have the talent onstage and I had the equal amount of talent backstage to pull off such a technical show,” Lowman said.

Behind the scenes, students on crew spent hours outside of rehearsal perfecting different aspects of the show. Seniors Cece Gimmaro and Alexis Ballou coordinated make-up and costumes for each actor and actress.

I worked for so long planning and practicing looks and hairstyles, trying to make sure it coordinated with their outfits, making masks and painting body suits. It was a lot of work,” senior Cece Gimmaro said.

Gimmaro admitted that she struggled with handling constructive criticism before becoming a member of the drama department.

“I used to not be able to (take criticism) and would take it all to heart. But after doing it for four years, I’ve learned that when they tell you to fix something it is because they know it can be better,” Gimmaro said.

According to Lowman, a musical of technical complexity takes more than just talent. She accredits their nominations to their intensive rehearsal and practice schedule.

“We don’t put in all the hours of rehearsal and tech to win a Blue Star; we are doing it because we love this artform, and we have a common goal to entertain the audience. Blue Star is just a little cherry on top of our cake,” Lowman said.

Lowman was happy to meet her personal goals with this show and looks to pursue it for years to come.

“My mantra is always to put on the most professional show we can. We want people to walk out of the theater saying they can’t believe this was a high school show.  I can say in all my years here we have always strived to meet this goal,” Lowman said.

Lowman will miss her departing seniors but is excited to teach a fresh group of students next year.

“It is always difficult to say goodbye to the seniors. They have been such an impactful part of our program.  But that is the nature of the education system. The seniors move on and we have new students to train and teach,” Lowman said. “I will miss this group of seniors so much, they have been an outstanding group,” she added.