Campus Crier

Soccer kicking strong

“The resilience and the effort that our girls give every single day (is phenomenal). They go up against players that they know are incredible soccer players,” Palermo said.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer kicking strong

Katy Knusdsen flys high to head the ball

Image by Delaney Barlow

Image by Delaney Barlow

Image by Delaney Barlow

Image by Delaney Barlow

Spectators at a high school soccer will be treated to 80 minutes of high flying action. Crazy weather delays and tough competition has not slowed the spirits of the Wildcat soccer team, as they continue to improve and stay positive. After coming off two tough loses this week against Kearney and Park Hillwith a beaten up squad, the future for the Wildcats looks bright.

Early season injuries and lack of depth have hindered the team in recent weeks, but not having enough players is a hurdle the Cats regularly face. The lack of participants requires each player to step up quickly, no matter their level of experience.

“We have girls on our JV team that haven’t even played soccer before,” Palermo said.

Even through the battered up lineup, Palermo is proud of the work the girls have been put in.

With the season now in full swing, Palermo looks forward to having a full and complete lineup.

“I think once we get all our players healthy (in a week or two) we should be able to make a good run into district play,” Palermo said.

Junior Aubrey Avalos feels confident moving on with the season in ways that she hasn’t in previous years. .

“Past seasons it has been rough playing teams that are really good like South and Lee’s Summit West, but now we all feel pretty good going against those teams,” Avalos said.

Keeping up the positivity is something the girls team are doing very well right now.

“We are closely knit group. This year we have the largest group of juniors and we are just so supportive of each other,” Avalos said.

The girls continue their season at home against Lee’s Summit North on April 9th.