BSHS sweethearts display sweet moves

“It’s being a part of the community that we have here at BSHS (is great). Everyone is really close, and the feel in the air is one of comfort; you can talk to just about anyone and feel accepted… I’ve loved being a part of it, and people will love it for years to come.” – Johnny Stokes, senior

Samantha Johnson

Valentine’s day has students geared up for the many events of KISS week. Students showcased their pajamas, perfect matches and proficient dance moves throughout the week to Keep In School Spirit. However, students were most excited for the annual Sweetheart Ballet.

While the ballet is for the entertainment of the student body, senior Ryan Welch noted that participating in Sweetheart resembled being on a team sport because of its rehearsals and companionship.

“It’s not like a sport, but that’s the best way I can describe it with the way that we all get together and support each other. It’s like a team,” Welch said.

To those participating, Sweetheart was a platform to branch out into the school community,

“It’s just about getting to know everybody and getting to know the school society. Last year, I didn’t even know half the boys participating and they were only a year older than me. A lot of people don’t even know who I am, but maybe now they will,” senior Logan Alcaraz said.

Alcaraz noted that spirit weeks were always his favorite way to stay an active part of the school community throughout the year.

“I like to participate in school activities and extracurricular activities, like wearing a onesie and Sweetheart, because I don’t want to be the only person who didn’t do anything other than learn in high school,” Alcaraz said.

Welch agreed that KISS week, and other spirit weeks, kept him connected to his Wildcat family.

“The biggest thing that I’m taking away is that I didn’t really do a whole lot of school events, except for speech and debate, but I really enjoy being a part of something public,” Welch said.

Senior Jonathan Stokes loved how Sweetheart made him included and that it should remain part of the Wildcat culture.

“It’s being a part of the community that we have here at BSHS (is great). Everyone is really close, and the feel in the air is one of comfort; you can talk to just about anyone and feel accepted,” Stokes said. “I’ve loved being a part of it, and people will love it for years to come,” he added.