Ending musical phrases

“Like a movie, I flashback to summer and remember when the opener wasn’t working and the tarp was blowing away. People don’t know that part of the story; but for me, each student and each show has a story behind the real one." -Dr. Tim Allshouse, director

November 30, 2018

As the Golden Regiment’s 2018 season came to a close, they took their time to reminisce their crowd-engaging finals performance at Lucas Oil. With a score of 95.600, the band outranked over one hundred bands from across the country and placed 3rd at BOA Grand Nationals. Head director Dr. Tim Allshouse knew this year’s show was step above.

“It was electrifying. We all knew, the students knew that it was a special show. Although the awards and placements were really cool, we could have came off the field in 12th place without a care. You just know it was something unbelievable… For those 10 to 15 minutes that could have been the best thing happening in the world,” Allshouse said.

Members of the GR were overwhelmed with emotions following their last field performance of “From a Different Angle” as they prepared for placements. Senior and head drum major Tyler Dye described his surroundings as the band exited the field to the parking lot.

“It was really exciting, kind of sad but mostly a happy moment. Coming off the field there were lots of students crying tears of joy, and you could see the smiles on our faces. I don’t think I stopped smiling for thirty minutes following that performance,” Dye said.

After placing above some of their most strong competitors, students shared a moment of gratitude for their peers and staff. Sophomore Logan Ewings admitted that these bonds are what he found most crucial.

“I don’t really care about our placements; that’s not what’s important to me. I care about the friendships that I’ve made,” Ewings said. “It was just incredible to make those memories,” he added.

Allshouse agreed that memories play an important role in his relationship with each show and student.

“Like a movie, I flashback to summer and remember when the opener wasn’t working and the tarp was blowing away. People don’t know that part of the story; but for me, each student and each show has a story behind the real one,” Allshouse said.

Working since May, the Golden Regiment put in countless hours of practice. Dye credited this year’s members for their drive and endurance through challenging weather and circumstances.

“Throughout the season, the students had put forth a lot of effort that we hadn’t seen in past years. I could tell that the students this year had been really pushing and made a lot of progress really fast,” Dye said.

Allshouse and the design team arranged music and visuals to compliment individual sections and students. However, he admitted that one of his moments was when the band and color guard joined vocalist Sam Aubuchon in lyrical harmony.

“It was always amazing to watch when we’re up front and we have our ballad impact moment and Sam is singing on top of it, you just have all the elements together at the same time. The guard is spinning the swing flags, and it was about the whole package right there,” Allshouse said.

Allshouse looks forward to implementing his and his students passion for music into concert season.

“I think one of the things we do pretty well at Blue Springs is understanding that it isn’t just about the marching band. It’s about every element of the band program, so that really motivated me pushing into Wind Symphony and (Washington)… The element of surprise is over, and we’ve got to be good now,” Allshouse said. The BSHS Wind Symphony and Wildcat Jazz Ensemble will now begin preparing for their trip to Washington, D.C. this April.

Campus Crier • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in