Campus Crier

Glitter Girls gear up for competition season

“The girls they have short term goals and long term goals. They work at their short term goals to get closer to their long term goal,” Brown said.

Savannah Alvis

Though Glitter girls put time and energy into game day performances, their competition winter season is just now firing up. Head Coach Erin Brown is dedicated to helping those girls meet their goals in dance.

Coach Brown’s own experience with dance as a performer shapes her coaching philosophy.

Image by Dakota Maskill

“I had seven coaches in my four years of college. It was hard it was hard on all of us. Never felt like anyone cared enough to stick around and coach us that’s something always knew that if I was gonna become a coach I would do that differently,” Brown said.

The glitter girls had a mouse race fundraiser on Saturday to raise money for future performances. 

“It’s our first year doing the mouse race. Last year baseball did it and I got tips from the coach. He said it was a good one for him so we are trying it out,” Brown said

With it being their first year they don’t know what to expect on Saturday. All they could do was practice and hope for the best.

“Since it’s our first year a lot of it is trial and error to get ready for the fundraiser,” Brown said.

Normally the glitter girls practice three times a week  unless they have a big event coming up. For performers, the love of dance helps them make it through long, tough practices,

“I love dancing and that’s why I put so much effort in the routines,” sophomore Aka ‘Ne Tinsley said.

It’s this amount of hard work that makes it difficult if the outcome is  not a good one.

“I’m always heartbroken when we lose our competition. It’s like you work so hard and it feels as if you weren’t good enough because you failed,” Tinsley said.