Campus Crier

NHS hosts blood drive

“It is an important thing to do because it helps in hospitals by giving blood to patients,” Birdsell said.

Savannah Alvis

Each year, NHS hosts two opportunities, one in October and one in February,  for students to donate blood.

NHS sponsor Sadie Birdsell noted that the blood drive helps students feel good about participating in the community.

Birdsell also added that not only does it make students feel good about themselves to give blood, but it can also save a life. BSHS partners with the community blood center to host the drives, and Birdsell hopes to up the number of participants in the future.

“We are on the low side compared to other schools. We only gave 94 pints of blood last year,” Birdsell said.

These numbers may be low because many students fear donating.

“It took awhile for me to sign up because I hate the sight of blood,” junior Katlyn Nesselhuf said.

Many students felt that as a citizen in the Blue Springs community, they need to help out as much as they possibly can.

“Not only did donating blood make me feel good as a person, but I was helping someone in need,” Nesselhuf said.

As the day of the blood drive got closer, her nerves got worse but that didn’t stop her. She even wants to do it again.

“It’s my junior year I want to do a lot of things. Something I have wanted to do was donate blood, but with my fear of blood it made it impossible to even get near the drive. When I finally decided to face my fears, I realized it’s not that bad. I can’t wait to do it again,” Nesselhuf said.

In the upcoming blood drive NHS members hope to see more students than the outcome in October of this year