Campus Crier

NHS welcomes new members, sponsor next fall

By Jayla Sample

“I like to help people, and involve myself with others and try to rub off as much positive energy through others.” –Junior Niya Harris 

National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. Often touted as “more than just an honor roll,” NHS serves to recognize students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

NHS not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in schools community service activities, including blood drives, school carnivals, book fairs, etc.

“You get to do community service with your friends who are also in the group and learn from each other,” senior and NHS president Rachel Robinson said.

Towards the end of the school year, NHS hosts a induction ceremony to recognize juniors who will be in next years NHS programs as seniors.

On May 2, select qualified juniors were welcomed into the NHS family.

“I’m excited to do all the activities for NHS and see how much I am able to learn from community service and other things that we will do as well,” new inductee junior Jaden Osborne said.

Similar to Osborne, Niya Harris (junior) is excited to be a part of an activity that challenges her to develop further through active involvement in school, and helping others.

“I like to help people, and involve myself with others and try to rub off as much positive energy through others, I think NHS would be a great way to spread that positivity around,” Harris said.

Under new leadership, NHS will be sponsored by media specialist Sadie Birdsell next year

“Mrs. Birdsell will be in charge next year and will continue the traditions of community involvement and recognizing our amazing kiddos for all they are involved in,” Minnis said.