Campus Crier

PLTW and TSA students showcase solutions, projects

By Abigail Starr

“I got first in software development. I made a simple program to help elementary students with their multiplication. It took me several weeks to create.” –junior Ryan Storm 

Project Lead The Way (PLTW) seniors attended a senior showcase at Union Station to present their Engineering and Biomed capstone projects. Advisor Angelia Schnakenberg noted that these projects highlight  issues in the engineering field that students must find a way to creatively solve.

“The Showcase is where the seniors in PLTW Engineering and BioMed display their capstone projects. The engineering kids work on a year long design innovation to solve a problem,” Schnakenberg said.

Seniors Ben Bradley, Luke Sales and Jonah Loewe received an Innovator Award at the showcase event.

Also led by Schnakenberg, Technology Student Association (TSA) competed in a state competition with over 30 events. Students qualified to compete at nationals if they placed in top three at state. Students begin developing ideas at the beginning of the school year for the state event at Missouri S&T in Rolland on April 22 and 23.

“I got first in software development. I made a simple program to help elementary students with their multiplication. It took me several weeks to create it but there’s still a lot that could go into it,” junior Ryan Strom said.

Junior Elizabeth Lee also placed first in her event, putting in double time to job shadow and travel to gain the personal experience needed for her event.

“I got first in STEM careers. I had to job shadow at a STEM related field so I went to a architectural engineering firm. Afterwards, I had to describe the job shadow and what I learned, research a skill that went along with it and film a video demonstrating that skill,” junior Elizabeth Lee said.

Nationals for TSA will be in Atlanta this June. Several students have qualified to represent Blue Springs in a variety of presentations including essays, programing designs, and engineering software expositions: Strom and Lee, as well as Dazia Catron, Valerie Cruz, Talera Jones, Bridgitte De Ocampo and Shaun Van Hoesen.