Campus Crier

FFA grows strong roots in Blue Springs

By Jayla Sample

“We’re like many other groups on campus in that we have to qualify level by level, each one being more intense than the next. But with every level, you learn or see something new. That’s why investing in the experience is worth it.” –Senior Morgan Laughlin on state competition

The BSHS chapter of the National FFA Organization is an activity that allows students to be involved with multiple interesting events. FFA does not focus purely on students with agriculture in their future; rather, they welcome members whose career plans include being teachers, doctors, scientist, business owners and more.

“FFA isn’t just about farming. It gets you involved with different activities with your career path you plan on taking. It teaches you about taking care of animals and plants, and learning about anatomy and more,” junior (vice president of FFA) Alexis Meininger said.

Meininger would like to be a veterinarian doctor. Her activities consist of dealing with animals, mainly horses. In this case she gets to attend stables with horses where she can meet up with other students in FFA around the state and compete in activities and be involved in fun activities with her friends.

Senior members Ashley Rothmier and Grace Rembold both agree that FFA helps students with teamwork and cooperation.

“It’s a great way to come together with each other and share different ideas and increase on knowledge,” Rembold said.

Rothmier and Rembold have both earned the National FFA Built Ford Tough scholarship.

Because the FFA club is more student led, they have office representatives such as president, vice president, and etc who gather all members for meetings and socials. This allows students to communicate and brainstorm ideas with one another.

FFA is also associated with an ag science class taught by Morgan Payton, who is also the FFA club sponsor.

Throughout the year, FFA students completed community service activities and competed in contests against other FFA organizations. On April, 19 FFA traveled to Columbia Missouri for the 90th State Convention.

“We’re like many other groups on campus in that we have to qualify level by level, each one being more intense than the next. But with every level, you learn or see something new. That’s why investing in the experience is worth it,” senior Morgan Laughlin said.

Meininger, Rembold, and Rothmier all have high hopes for next years FFA, wishing for an continuous growth of students, trips, and activities.

“Next year I hope that the FFA program can stay strong, working together and opening up new opportunities through the school. It’s a really fun experience; you just have to give it a chance,” Rothmier said.