Campus Crier

Little Shop of Horrors reaps Blue Star nomination

By Caitlin Ham

“I’m really proud of the entire cast and crew and believe Sam will do an outstanding job representing the musical as a whole.” –Theatre director Lisa Lowman

Modeled after Broadway’s Tony Awards, Starlight Theatre’s annual Blue Star Awards recognize musical theatre accomplishments in the KC metro area. Each year the program serves 5,000 local students to honor those who contribute on stage or behind the curtain in their schools’ musical theatre program. Judges who are theatre professionals attend each school’s musical and evaluate. This year Blue Springs musical, Little Shop of Horrors, received nominations for outstanding actor in a lead role (Sam Abuchon as Seymour Kreulborn) and outstanding orchestra, a nomination BSHS has never received.

Senior Addison Palmer was sound manager and is also drama club president. She’s especially proud of the hard work put in and believes every individual’s contribution lead to the nominations.

“Receiving the nomination for outstanding lead actor was an honor for us, but receiving outstanding orchestra was something we’ve never done before. These are really big nominations,” Palmer said.

Musical sponsor and theatre teacher Lisa Lowman is pleased and gratified with her student’s work and believes the nominations are well deserved. She’s looking forward to awards night and hopes lead actor Sam Abuchon can continue on in the competition.

“We are nominated for Best Actor for Sam Aubuchon and Best Orchestra.  If Sam wins he will travel to New York and compete in the Jimmy’s, which is a national competition. I’m really proud of the entire cast and crew and believe Sam will do an outstanding job representing the musical as a whole, “ Lowman said.

Junior Mandi Brown played clarinet in the orchestra and is thrilled to share the nomination of outstanding orchestra with the other members of the pit. She believes the nomination is well deserved.

“I had so much fun being a part of the musical on the instrumental side of things and it’s such an honor to have received a nomination for outstanding orchestra. Regardless of the outcome on the night of the awards we worked so hard and I’m really proud of everyone,” Brown said.

Blue Star Awards night will be May 17th held at Starlight Theatre at 7 pm. All of the nominated schools will attend and the finalists of each category will be announced.