People pay to read your homework

By Samara Bhatti

Students in these classes have to learn to work towards a goal with a group of people. They have to put their best foot forward in both a creative and intellectual way,” teacher Katie Grusing on the requirements of aspiring publication students 

Edit, publish, deadlines: these are the words that students in print journalism classes live by. These classes include newswriting, yearbook and photojournalism which are all classes that Katie Grusing has been teaching for four years now.

These journalism courses require students to report school news for news writing, creating spreads for the yearbook, taking pictures for photojournalism . Each assignment given in class has a deadline that needs to be meet, so students have to be organized and plan ahead.

Journalism classes mirror the real world in the way other classes cannot; students have to meet deadline (or pay the consequences), work together, communicate with a variety of people, and take note of/be aware of/report on what’s happening in the world around them,” Grusing said.

Students in news writing interview people for their articles, so they get a chance to talk to a variety of new people. Students in yearbook and photojournalism get involved in extracurricular activities to take pictures for the school yearbook.

“I get to take pictures of basketball games and football games and I get to be involved in everything I get to take pictures of,” senior Yearbook II student Megan Alumbaugh said.                                                      

The goal of the journalism courses are to help students be involved and report on school activities. These courses are helpful to students and their social skills.

Students in these classes have to learn to work towards a goal with a group of people. They have to be skilled at various tasks both individually and as a group, and they have to create quality work. They have to put their best foot forward in both a creative and intellectual way,” Grusing said.   

Students in these classes have to prioritize their time and know what needs to be done in order to create quality work and meet the deadline.

“We usually get the deadlines for when the pictures, captions, and body copy needs to be done. So I just make sure I get everything done before the deadline,” Alumbaugh.                  

The main focus in these classes are for students to improve their work because their work is out for all to see, and students will spend a lot of time revising and constantly editing their work to make sure there is no mistakes.

Newswriting and yearbook are publications courses. Students here should be prepared to work and rework their product in order to be their best work out into the world. Journalism is the introductory course for both classes,” Grusing said.                                                                                                                                    

Students interested in taking any of these classes for next year should see Katie Grusing in room 107 or see his/her English teacher for a recommendation.