Campus Crier

High school students take on toddlers

By Abigail Starr

“It’s hard not to smile when you walk in. Seeing Wildcats find what they want to do with the rest of their lives is so fulfilling. I really hope more high schoolers consider taking this class,” teacher Pamela Beck shares her joys on influencing young minds

Blue Springs offers a unique variety of childcare classes that teach students the fundamentals of childcare and child education. Teacher Pamela Beck is eager to pass down her knowledge to both high school and preschool students.

“Everyone needs to understand how to interact with children. So many classes teach how to work with your peers but no other (class) shows what it takes to handle kids,” Beck said.

The classes follow a path to advance through the courses. A student would start in child development, currently taught by Renee Herman. Then he or she would move on to childcare and guidance, then advanced child care. Each class counts as a practical art or elective credit.

“They’re great classes if you like little kids and are considering going into early childhood, elementary education, or planning to be a parent,” counselor Megan Callanan said.

These classes give Blue Springs students the opportunity to work with preschool age children. High schoolers plan lessons for the children, send letters home to the parents, and log their child’s behavior.

“The class grade comes with the journal for behavior notes, three letters home to parents, the report card, and being here Tuesdays and Thursdays when the children are here. We also do some light bookwork,” Beck said.

Senior Addison Palmer is back in the preschool room as an advanced childcare student. She’s eager to get to know her preschool partner.

“I’ve been in the preschool environment but I’m so excited to be back for my last semester of high school. These kids are amazing and so smart,” Palmer said.

Bookwork for the class serves as supplemental notes on the class’ curriculum on early childhood education. Beck’s main goal is to see students consider a career in teaching.

“We really have a good time in this room. It’s hard not to smile when you walk in. Seeing wildcats find what they want to do with the rest of their lives is so fulfilling. I really hope more high schoolers consider taking this class,” Beck said.