Campus Crier

Painting a picture of progress

By Caitlin Ham

“Mrs. Varrone is a great teacher that’s passionate about her teaching and her students. She’s supportive of all of our work and is never critical of what we produce,” senior Alex Bradley on his experiences with teacher Jennifer Varrone

BSHS offers many art classes, ranging from ceramics to photography and drawing. Students have the option to take basic level art classes or more advanced classes for those looking for more of a challenge. The first class a student would take to expand their artistic abilities is design fundamentals taught by Jennifer Varrone.

“I teach design fundamentals, (which is) your basic level class that introduces you to the basic elements and principles of art.  We do two-dimensional composition drawings, color wheels to impressionist oil pastels,” Varonne said.

Following Design Fundamentals students are encouraged to take Digital Photography I and II to expand on their skills from Design Fundamentals if photography is an area of interest.

“We use a DSLR digital camera in this class and learn how to take proper photos on full manual.   We learn about composition, techniques, lighting and editing on Photoshop.  Some of my favorite projects are portraits, surreal collages, and our historical photography emulations,” Varonne said.

For those looking to gain more than credit, art is a great way to expand on creativity and learn new skills. Art students can also incorporate skills such as geometry and physics to expand on their art projects and include concepts from other classes.

“‘To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.’ Kurt Vonnegut. Art is not just for a credit; it envelopes may other disciples such as math, science, and history.  It is a creative and emotional outlet and helps fine motor skills and creative thinking,” Varonne said.

Senior Alex Bradley has taken design fundamentals through photography II and believes Mrs.Varrone has had a great impact on his art abilities.

“Mrs. Varrone is a great teacher that’s passionate about her teaching and her students. She’s supportive of all of our work and is never critical of what we produce,” Bradley said.