Walsh claims area six historian spot

By Michaela Fielding

Sierra had to interview with 21 high school students from the Area 6 FFA association. There are 21 schools in the area and each school can send one voting delegate, which determines who is on the Area 6 Officer slated for the next year.”-Mrs. Morgan Payton

Suits and ties, question after question, a lengthy interview process, and a final knowledge test: these are the challenges junior Sierra Walsh faced when she ran to be a Future Farmers of America (FFA) area official.

Walsh was nominated to run for office in the 2017-2018 school year. The process was arduous and took several hours.

“We went over to the Freshman Center to be interviewed […]in official dress,” she explained. “We were judged on how we looked, if we wore [the clothes] right and how we presented ourselves.”

On top of this pressure, Walsh had more to do.

“We took a knowledge test, which was about 20 questions, on the history of FFA and parliamentary procedures on how we run our meetings,” Walsh said.

While most clubs would have adults do the interviews, Walsh instead was interviewed by her peers.

Sierra had to interview with 21 high school students from the Area 6 FFA association,” FFA advisor Morgan Payton said. “There are 21 schools in the area and each school can send one voting delegate, which determines who is on the Area 6 Officer slated for the next year.”

Voters also asked the candidates questions during the interview process.

“They asked us questions about leadership and our involvement in the program and other stuff like that,” Walsh said.

Walsh was elected to be the historian for the upcoming school year. Her duties will include keeping record of the 2017-2018 association activities, creating and maintaining the Area 6 scrapbook, and submitting activity reports as well as member profiles to the media. She takes over this job on March 22nd.

In addition to Walsh’s success, FFA is also celebrating the success of the following students who competed in the Cnetral district FFA Career Development Events on Tuesday, March 28th:

Dairy Cattle – Place 21st out of 60 teams

• Kirsten Barajas
  • Tori Houseman
  • Lauren MacMillan
  • Ryan Watkins

Dairy Foods – Placed 9th out of 60 teams – advancing to State

•  Morgan Benton
  •  Mallori Littrell
  •  Genevieve Pennington
  •  Sierra Walsh

Floriculture – Placed 11th out of 60 teams – advancing to State

•  Riane Brown
  •  Jace Hickman
  •  Canyon Nattier
  •  Tiffany Pichon

Forestry  – Placed 15th out of 60 teams

•  Cassie Montgomery
  •  Zach Nielson
  •  Laurel Patterson
  •  Gen Sampson – Dickerson

Meat Evaluation – Placed 30th out of 60 teams

• Lily Dusch
  •  Hunter Jenkins
  •  Madi Maynard
  •  Sean Opalka