Campus Crier

Students march for equality

By Courtney Yanks

“Equality is what this country needs, what this world needs. Equality for all men and women, not based on gender, sexuality or race.” -junior Karissa Johnson

On January 21st, more than 200,000 women, men and children visited Washington square to march for their rights. The women’s march was a response to show opposition to the political policies of the newly inaugurated President, Donald Trump.

After many of President Trump’s speeches and comments toward and about women and their rights/place in society, citizens expressed the amount of fear they felt for women’s rights. Many BSHS students felt that marching and protesting policy was a way to come together as a community and show what they stand for.

“Equality is what this country needs, what this world needs. Equality for all men and women, not based on gender, sexuality or race,” junior Karissa Johnson said, “That’s what I believe and stand for, and that’s why I marched, with the rest of people who believed that as well.”

The Kansas City Women’s Right March took place at Washington Square Park at Pershing Road and Grand Avenue, from one p.m. to three p.m. For two hours, women and men marched, carrying signs, met new people and stood up for equality. Most saw it a show of solidarity.

“I met so many people, and not just women either. There was so many men and children there as well, all supporting the same thing. It was kind of crazy seeing so many people joined together, over a horrible situation, getting along. This wasn’t a protest, it was a peaceful and positive way to get or point across,” senior Lily Andrews said.

After President Trump’s election, concern for women’s right increased throughout social media, along with racial and LGBT rights. Marchers noted that their goal was to get the point across that all humans matter and that there are hundreds of thousand citizens that agree women’s rights are humans rights.

“Being there just gave me such a good feeling, all these people wanted the same thing as I, to benefit our country,” Johnson said, “Everyone that was there tried to get their point across in a respectful way.”

BSHS students were a part of the 200,000 people that showed up, fighting for what they feel so passionate about. Most felt positive about their experience.

“It was an amazing experience, I would do it all over again if I could,” Andrews said, “Women’s rights are humans rights.”